Home | News | Docs | WCS | Samples | Libraries | Viewers | Utilities | Keywords | Conventions | Resources
Recent FITS Activities and Issues
- 28 July 2016
- The IAU FITS Working Group has issued a draft of a new version of the FITS Standard document that describes eight new features that have been officially added to the FITS format over the past year. This includes World Coordinate keywords for the precise definition of time coordinates, support for long string keywords that are continued over multiple keyword records, file checksum keywords, and standards for data compression of images and tables.
- The Vatican Library has adopted the FITS data format for the long-term digital preservation of the books, manuscripts, and other objects in its vast collection. An overview of some of the technical details of this ambitious project is availble on the Vatican Library Web site.
- September 2015
- The IAU FITS Working Group is currently in the process of considering a number of widely use FITS conventions for possible inclusion in the next version of the FITS Standard. If you would like to view the public discussion of these conventions, subscribe to the fitsbits email exploder.
- 9 June 2014
- The IAU FITS Working Group officially approved the paper by Rots et al. titled ''Representation of Time Coordinates in FITS''. This paper continues the series of previous papers which defined the representaions of world coordinate systems in the celestial (sky) and spectral dimensions.
- December 2013
- The 4 regional FITS committees (North America, Europe, Japan, and Australia/New Zealand) were officially disbanded, and the formal IAU-FWG voting rules were modified accordingly.
Last revised: Thursday, 28-Jul-2016 15:39:28 EDT
Contact us: fits @ fits.gsfc.nasa.gov
Hosted by: The HEASARC (High Energy Astrophysics Science Archive Research Center)
Responsible NASA representative: Dr. Thomas A. McGlynn Privacy, Security & Accessibility Statements.